Friday, December 12, 2008

Split Pea Soup


Inspired by Happy Herbivore's recipe as well as the cold weather, last week I made up a big pot of split pea soup. The recipe I followed is this:

Ingredients:
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 1/3 white onion, chopped
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 8 cups water
  • 7 cubes veggie bouillion
  • 1 lb bag split green peas
  • 1 potato, cubed
  • 3 handfuls of baby carrots, cubed
I rinsed and sorted the peas and sauteed the onions, shallots and garlic before adding to the soup pot. Otherwise I just threw everything in the pot and simmered on low for about 1.5 hours. Once it was cooked I blended with a stick blender until the large chunks of potato and carrot had turned more into flecks (but the soup was not completely pureed.). It was very hearty and tasty and the leftovers have been delicious as well. This was also very inexpensive to make (the entire pot cost about $3.00 in new ingredients since I had the bouillion and most of the veggies on hand). Especially nice when served with fresh ground pepper and paprika sprinkled on top.

No comments: