Monday, July 20, 2009

Recipe Review: Gobi Matar Masala


Last week I tried this recipe for Gobi Matar Masala from Vegan Yum Yum. Gobi Matar Masala is a type of Indian dish with cauliflower, tomatoes and spice. It was inexpensive and relatively easy to follow, but ultimately wasn't very exciting. I don't think I'd make it again.

Pluses:
  • If you have all the ingredients on hand, you can get dinner on the table relatively quickly.
  • It is nutritious and inexpensive.
  • The recipe is not difficult to follow.
Minuses:
  • The finished product isn't bad, but its not exceptionally tasty either. I much prefer aloo gobi.
  • The recipe requires a number of spices that novices to Indian cooking may not have on hand (although if you enjoy Indian food, they are worth picking up!).
  • No real protein source, so may leave you craving something more. Could be OK if served with a hearty grain and a big salad.
Bottom Line:
  • If it sounds good to you, give it a try! I'll stick with aloo gobi when I get a craving for Indian style cauliflower.

No comments: